Saturday, November 18, 2006

Designer Gods

I continue to encounter people who offer a version of this:
  • "Well, that's not how I picture God...."
  • "I don't think I could believe in a God who____"
  • "If that's what God is, then I'm not so sure I want to..."
  • "My idea of God is personal."

This 'putting the cart before the horse' approach to spirituality assumes that we define God. I'd like Him to be a little kinder here, more proactive there, miraculous, timely, responsive...or else.

Or else?

"Or I might just pick up my belief system and take it somewhere else. I can vote with my prayers you know."

That is the designer god mentality. I'll conceive of god in my own image - or find a pre-packaged spirituality that's close, and saves me the work.

Christianity is different. We believe God is. In fact, He calls himself, "I am." He's done His best to explain His nature to us--so that we can understand Him better, and enter into a relationship with Him. Not so we vote for Him.

God is not insecure. He loves you enough to be accessible and approachable. A supreme being doesn't have to do that. It's His option, not our design feature.

The prophet Isaiah recorded this insight from God:

Isa 44:6 So says the Lord, the King of Israel, and His redeemer Lord of Hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and besides Me there is no God.

Isa 44:24 So says the Lord, your Redeemer, and He who formed you from the womb, I am the Lord who makes all things; who stretches out the heavens alone; who spreads out the earth.

There are thousands of insights like this in the Bible -- ways to learn how God is. But you might also be pleasantly surprised by how much His Words speak of Love, forgiveness, mercy, Grace, abundant blessings and compassion--for us. The very people who keep trying to re-imagine him as we would have him be.

Rather than anguishing over how you would set out to 'design' the perfect God for your life (and for the rest of us to join with you...), try turning the tables to read the Bible and learn more about how you can meet God as He is - through His Son, Jesus - our Saviour.

What do you believe?

No comments: