Saturday, January 05, 2008

Part 3: The Global Spiritual Question

 Continued from Part 2

Next, when asking the conversation starter, "Do you believe that the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is sufficient?"
Some candidly open people answer, "I'm not sure..."
"I'm not sure whether this simple belief and acceptance can, or will, actually bring about eternal resolution and residence with God."
My guess is that there are a whole lot more people in this camp than anyone realizes. In fact, I believe that many (millions...perhaps tens of millions) of people who have declared themselves for another monotheistic (Judaism, Islam) or polytheistic (Hindu) religion, or philosophy (Buddhism, atheism), actually fall into the "I'm not sure" category. 
These folks truly wonder whether - and even hope that - the claims of Christianity are true:
 Forgiveness for past wrongs; prayer access to God, eternal life in God's presence...if I could only be sure...
And once again, I believe that many (millions, perhaps tens of millions) of self-proclaimed Christians wonder the same thing.
Can the free gift of God's Grace be that easy - is belief in Jesus truly sufficient?
If you asked the question and started the conversation, the next questions include,
"Why not?" and "What if it were true?" and "If it's most definitely not true--how would you lead your life differently?" 

In Part 4, I'll blog briefly on the "Yes's"

What do you believe?

No comments: