Saturday, June 07, 2008

Got the Book - Start the Surgery

World Magazine just ran an article reminding us that Bible sales are at an all time high, but readership - or Bible literacy - isn't necessarily stellar. I was surprised to read how many varieties and versions there are! Picture the "Athletes" version I gave my GodDaughter, complete with Basketball-like leather cover.
The next day, I happened upon a TV preacher (I can't recommend her, since I have no background or insights about her ministry, this was just a random channel change), who was also talking about Bible reading.
Building on her original premise and adding my own spin...
"how would you feel about your surgeon walking in with his textbook on open heart surgery and you ask him, 'have you read that thing?'  And he answers, 'well, I've been through it cover-to-cover once, but now I focus on my favorite chapters.' And you ask, 'why do you carry it around with you like that?' and he says, 'It gives me a certain comfort and I keep hoping to spend more time with it.'   Whoa!  Is that who you're going to go to with matters of life and death and surgery...or eternity...? ! "

The real life question is...are you carrying around a Bible - or thinking about the one sitting on a shelf (or pew) somewhere? The Apostle Peter said we should be prepared to own up to what we know or don't know when we're asked - a full disclosure of sorts.

1 Peter 3:15
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."

What do you believe ?

No comments: