Saturday, September 06, 2008

Stomaching the Truth

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."

I keep a small, white eraser board just outside my office cube. Once or twice each week I scrawl a quotation and note the author. It's usually something simple, just a line or two by the famous and anonymous.  
While I started the practice for my own encouragement - I very quickly realized that my office neighbors enjoy the diversion from business details as well.
Once, as I washed my hands in the men's rest room, an unfamiliar face looked over in the mirror and said, "you're the quote guy."
Since I work in marketing, I assumed that he had mistaken me for someone in sales who provides customer quotes. I was about to say that when it dawned on me.
Right.......the quote guy.
"I guess I am," I smiled back. And he talked about a couple of his favorites, encouraging me to keep it going. Now I actually receive suggested quotes via email, and friendly admonishments if I've waited too long to update the board.

That's how I came upon Flannery O'Connor's quote:
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
With due respect to the departed author, I don't know anything about her other writings.
But, if Google searches are any indication, she's left behind a very popular quotation.

In just a dozen words, she's spotlighted the difference between an orthodox application of Biblical teachings, and the newly popular, relative morality of "cafeteria style" Christianity...where someone adopts only those parts that they find palatable or appealing.

But O'Connor's words do convict: "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
Make a point to write those 12 words on a piece of paper. Then, with that as your bookmark, read the Gospel of John. Or one of Paul's letters to the Galatians, Philippians, Ephesians and Collosians.
Jesus said, "Sanctify them by your Truth. Your word is Truth."
It's hard to look away from that one -- even if you can erase it from the board on the wall.

What do you believe?




 


No comments: