Sunday, May 24, 2009

Planets Reflect the Light

We've talked about buying a telescope for years and years, and finally did so this spring.
I'm looking forward to a warm summer's evening and a starry, starry night.
Searching the internet for astronomy sites and insights, I tried the keywords "planets," "reflect" and "light" in different combinations.
I was surprised to come across a number of sermon topics related to this theme:
Think of Jesus as the Sun. Then whenever you are able to see and appreciate the beauty of the planets or moons in our solar system, they are not emitting their own light, they are reflecting the light of the Sun.
Jesus said,
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."  John 8:12
It's a good reminder to me, humbling, that I am not the light. I walk in the light. I reflect the light of love, kindness, compassion, forgiveness and mercy -- when I am in view of the Son.  But as soon as I stray from the Light of Jesus, it's easy to stumble or lose my way.
I'll consider this new perspective when I look through our telescope on a starry, starry night!

What do you believe?

No comments: