Saturday, February 20, 2010

Raised Hands are Waiting

In my marketing job, I do a lot of work trying to locate and identify customers who are 'ready to buy.' We ask questions, take surveys and even track what types of email our prospects respond to. It's a very laborious process!
A much more productive technique is to contact customers who have self-declared that they are ready to buy. This bypasses all my detective work and gets right to the person who has specific questions and decision points. We say they've "raised their hand" by filling out a "contact us" form on the internet. Or they click on a Google ad. If I search for "buy speakers" and then click on the Bose ad, you can bet I'm already in the market--so talk to me!
That's how I look at the people who knock on my door or stop me on the street corner to talk about spiritual matters. These are people who have already 'raised their hand' for spiritual inquiry. I don't have to be politically correct or beat around the bush. They are already in the market.
Unfortunately, many of them have bought into the wrong product.
They may be in a cult, or have been convinced that their salvation relies on works rather than redemption and Grace.
I don't ignore them as solicitors...I steer my way directly into their path.
I like nothing better than 15 minutes with two people and their pamphlets on my front porch.
Rather than argue over confused theology, I simply take the invitation of their inquiry to explain the Gospel of Grace. "You and I are sinners. Jesus died to redeem our sins. We can have forgiveness and eternal life by believing on His name." And repeat, perhaps with prayer and reference to Ephesians 2:8-9 or Romans 10:9, until they take their leave.
From there, God does the heavy lifting. If they are open to the Truth, it will set them free of whatever else has enslaved them.
Look, some of the people that call out from the street corner are actually my brothers and sisters in Christ. They are boldly proclaiming Jesus and I love it ! I smile and encourage them.
But take a closer look from now on - before you slam the door or say something derisive. Are you dis-missing an annoying cultist, or missing the raised hand of someone seeking Truth, who has yet to meet Jesus?
"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of his glory." Ephesians 1:13-14

What do you believe?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother, I welcome my local mormons and Jw's to my door! I use to have my talking points right on the wall above the light switch to the porch!

Well, they know me now, and pass over my house, but you are right in the attitude you present to us! Being a light, means being a light to everyone! Let god to the work after you kindly share his word!

Gunny