Thursday, September 30, 2010

New Wheel Alignment

I took my car into the shop for a much needed wheel alignment. If I took my hands off the steering wheel, it would quickly drift out of my interstate lane. As long as my hands were on the wheel I could hold the car steady, but it was a surprisingly strong tug to the side. It had not started that way. At first, It would drift slowly enough that I had time to respond. I could reach for my coffee or fiddle with the radio. But as the alignment got worse, I really had to watch it. I could quickly endanger myself, or anyone driving in the lanes beside me.

That's how Spiritual matters go for me sometimes. At first I'm going through a time where I'm in daily or hourly contact with God. Praising Him, praying to Him, interceding for friends family. Reading a little scripture before work, bible study with the guys on Tuesday morning.

But then I start drifting a little. It's not like I immediately swerve off the road. But I miss a church service on Sunday because I'm on vacation. Then I sleep in and miss bible study, or start late at work and can't read the daily devotional. Then instead of praying on my way home, I listen to a news podcast or music.

In just a few days, or weeks, I'm not staying in the centerline. Pride starts to creep in, impatience or jealousy flare up. It starts affecting the people in the lanes next to me, too. I'm not praying effectively for friends who asked, or encouraging my family's Spiritual activity. I inevitably find myself worrying about matters that rightly belong in God's worthy hands. Which takes even more of my attention off the Spiritual matters God has entrusted to me.

That's when it's time for an alignment! Getting right with God to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I've neglected proper upkeep and maintenance of His gifts. Ready for Holy Spirit adjustment. It's surprising how fast He takes care of it - no appointment necessary, and no charge. I wish it would last forever, but I must be driving a lemon...

What do you believe?

No comments: