Sunday, March 13, 2011

Church Relic - Spine of Christ ?

I spent this past week in Versailles, just outside Paris.
We took an evening dinner cruise on the Seine and a friend pointed out historical landmarks including the Louvre, Notre Dame and of course the Eifle tower.

In the course of her narrative she mentioned a few lesser known churches. One in particular, she observed, even had a famous relic retrieved by an earlier French King. As she recalled, it was the "spine of Christ."

My natural inclination was to continue listening to her kind descriptions. Afterall, there are countless relics in churches all over the world. Who knows which fragments are real and which are not. Even a local Basilica near our home has what they claim to be a piece of the One True Cross. Anyway, it was not an evening for debate, but of fellowship and beautiful Parisian views.

When I returned home, I recapped the week's events for my family and included reference to the "spine of Christ" relic.
My daughter immediately said, "Oops, that's not right."
In the instant she said that, I finally made the same connection and thought, "Oh my. Jesus' resurrected body left behind no bones of any kind, let alone his spine!"

What an opportunity for evangelism I had missed! How simple to have asked my host, "Are you sure they meant the spine of Christ? That would be at odds with the Christian belief that he arose from the dead." There were hundreds of ways I could have said that. I was thinking like a tourist, not a Believer. (Happily, my daughter is more on the ball than I am !)

A quick online search revealed several mentions of "spine" and "Christ" in Paris. But they refer to the crown of thorns. Evidently the connecting fragments to the thorns are called "the spine." Somehow my friend must have mixed what she heard about churches, relics and Christ, to misunderstand the "spine of Christ's thorns" to be "the spine of Christ." It is now my turn to respond back to her and ask if that is indeed the case. There is still an opportunity for the Gospel to be shared.

Matthew 27:29
"They wove thorn branches into a crown and put it on his head, and they placed a reed stick in his right hand as a scepter. Then they knelt before him in mockery and taunted, "Hail! King of the Jews!""

What do you believe?

No comments: