Thursday, July 05, 2012

That Darn Vine in my Garden

There is this unbelievably evil vine in our patio garden.
It springs up from beneath a plant's shoots and extends a tendril.
It then literally wraps around an individual plant stalk from bottom to top. So intricately is it woven - like a rope strand - that you can't even see the deadly activity until you stand close - or until that plant stalk discolors and dies.
It is a very tiny, nondescript little vine when it comes out of the ground. It grows thicker as it encircles the plant stalk - think boa constrictor.

It does a lot of damage in a short period of time.  I have to go out every day and look for signs of the new tendrils, hoping to tear them out before they latch on.
Sometimes I miss one and it blends in. Then there is no visible evidence until the plant or its flowers are in distress. At that advanced stage, even if I snip the vine and pull it from the plant, it rips off petals and new growth in the process.
Looking out on my patio right now, there are two identical plants. One was hit harder than the other and it actually looks distressed in comparison. Same amount of water and sunlight. One is stunted and discolored compared to the other, like its been through a battle.

I can relate.

I've got to stay vigilant and watch out for the tendrils of evil in this world.
Sometimes its not clicking on the provocative news photo. Other times it requires that I steer clear of family political debates that build resentment.  Endless TV shows that waste my time and keep me from more purposeful work for God's kingdom. And etc.

There are times when small tendrils grow fast, and then ripping them out leaves me worn out and exasperated.  But I have learned a simple truth - daily discipline is much more productive than periodic assessment and damage control.  More of that, then.

The Good News?  Not only does God forgive me when I ask (see 1John 1:9), but he also provides the joy in keeping watch:

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of Grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever, Amen."  1Peter 5:8-11

What do you believe?

No comments: