Saturday, October 27, 2012

7 Word Message to God

I had just crested a hill on a lonely country farm road in Ohio, going about 50 miles an hour.
The two cars ahead of me suddenly stopped.
One had their blinker on, waiting to turn left, and the one immediately in front of me had to wait. There wasn't enough room for us to squeeze around on the right.
I was in a hurry, but you had to smile at the irony - a country road in the middle of Ohio farm country and I'm stuck in a traffic jam!
Just then, I looked up in my rear view mirror.
A large pickup truck had also just crested the hill behind me, and he was going way too fast!
I had only enough time to utter one sentence - and I remember it exactly,
"Oh my God, he won't have enough time to stop."
He didn't, and he slammed into the back of my sky blue Honda Accord, rearranging the trunk up to my driver's seat and sliding my car into the guy in front of me. All in a split second!
There were only seven words after I reflexively muttered, "Oh my God..."
He...won't....have....enough.....time....to......stop.
That was the best I could do in the moment when I could easily have been taken from this earth.
I was thinking back to that moment after reading a gospel account this week.
Right before Jesus died, he offered up one last sentence of about seven words as well (at least in the english translation of aramaic). Instead of my crass OMG, he more appropriately address his "Father,"
"Into....your.....hands...I....commend.....my.....spirit."   Matthew 23:46
Seven words that blend humility, confidence in God's plan, and an awareness of the hereafter. 

Quick, you have exactly one moment to assess your life and your relationship with God...and about seven words to summarize or express yourself to God.  What would you say?
______......______......_____......_____......_______.....______.....______

Don't wait to see one of life's "trucks" racing into your rear view mirror.  Have a more relaxed conversation with God today. Conversation with God is 'prayer.'  Its liberating and reassuring.
You can get some good starter ideas here:

What do you believe?

No comments: