Saturday, November 10, 2012

Restoring that Cable for God

Two years ago I accidentally cut the end off of an outdoor extension cord.

These aren't cheap. It was a heavy duty, thirty foot cord that I could use with outdoor lights and lawn tools.
I stored it on the garage wall and intended to buy a replacement plug - the kind where you re-trim the three wires and screw on the new plug end.
Other things came up and the damaged cable languished on that garage wall hook. I think I even bought an extra extension cord in the meantime when I needed some power.
Finally, after a year had passed, I remembered the cable during a hardware run and bought the replacement plug.  Locating the now-dusty cable, I carefully trimmed the wires and reassembled the plug.
Pleased with myself for rescuing the cable, I uncoiled the rest of it and looked for a wall plug.

This is where I had to smile, in spite of myself.

My memory of which plug end to replace was incorrect. I now had a very nice outdoor extension cord with two, three-pronged plug ends. No receptacle!  So I could plug it into the wall (on either end), but it was without use for its intended purpose of delivering electricity.
Nothing wrong with any of the components, and I could use it for something else - as cable to bundle cardboard or something - but not for electricity.

And that is how I am with some of the blessings and gifts God provides me. I know how to explain the gospel, but I often shy away from opportunities to do so.  Maybe I'd be of more use just 'living' the gospel on a hook in the garage and hoping people will see the example and learn.  But I know in my heart that I would not be applying the full intent of God's purpose.  Ephesians 2:10

I took the extra time and patience to work with the extension cord. It would have been easier to just hang it back on the wall and ignore it, or throw it away.  God knows better. He loves you and knows the purpose for your life. Ask Him!


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


What do you believe?




No comments: