Friday, March 29, 2013

I let a sparrow die and I am so sorry

This happened more than 25 years ago, but it bothers me to this day.

We lived in a wooded area and kept a dry stack of split wood in the garage for our fireplace.
This inevitably attracted wood mice during the winter and I sometimes placed glue traps near the wood stack.
There were a few seeds on each trap, the mice would come by to investigate, get stuck and be easily disposed of. It didn't bother me that much to be rid of rodents, although a couple of friends did suggest that glue traps were not the most humane method available.  Still, it was expedient and effective.

Then one day in spring I was working on the driveway and heard something rustling in the garage. It took me a second to trace the sound over to the wood stack. "Ugh, a mouse," I thought.

But it wasn't a mouse. It was a tiny, brown flecked sparrow. It had somehow smelled the seeds and gotten stuck on the trap. Its toothpick leg was bent across the glue and it was fluttering in a circle, trying desparately to get away.

I was sick and horrified. Unlike the occasional dead mouse I usually found, this poor creature was alive and looking at me. I tried to work through the mechanics of extricating its leg, but that was going to do more damage, and the poor thing was frantic. I walked away at one point just to collect my thoughts - maybe I should jump in the car and drive to an animal shelter. But then I would be admonished for my glue trap - bad enough we were using them for mice. By the time I got back to the bird it was dead.
I am so sorry that I had anything to do with that.  That was one of the cruelest, saddest events I ever contributed to in my life. I've asked God to forgive me. I believe He has.  I still regret it.

25 years ago.
If I had participated in one sparrow death like that per minute - every minute of every hour - of every day - of every year - for the last 25 years...that would have been 13 million deaths. What a horrifying thought that would be.

There have been over 50 million abortions in the USA since a determined group of people chose to push through Roe v. Wade - and countless others have actively contributed to advocating and expanding the practice. People who fund the ACLU or work at and fund Planned Parenthood, or elect enabling politicians.    50 million lives as helpless as a sparrow on a glue trap.    God will forgive any of the people involved who are sorry and seek his forgiveness.  But what a heartbreaking grief to overcome.

Abby Johnson did just that - overcame her role as a professional abortion enabler at Planned Parenthood.  Linking to her website here - and encouraging anyone else who needs to reconcile with God on a past mistake. He loves you and will forgive you.  Tell others and help stop the madness.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God."  Luke 12:7

What do you believe?




No comments: