Monday, April 29, 2013

Coarse words - anyone hear me?

I finished a phone call on my way home from work last week, clicked off and dropped the phone in my lap. More work! More deadlines!  And right before the weekend.
I was also irritated because the car in front of me had been straggling along below the speed limit. Hurry up already!
Just before the stoplight he finally decided to speed up, make the amber, and leave me stuck waiting for the next light.
Expletive Deleted !
I uttered a coarse set of words without thinking.
But then I did think - had I really turned off my phone?!
Blushing bright as the red light, I reached down and picked up the phone to check.
It was off - and I was relieved - saved the embarrassment of somebody hearing me at a weak moment.

You know where this is going, right?

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."  Ephesians 4:29

God heard me loud and clear - and my words would not have benefitted anyone who might have listened, let alone the creator of the universe. I had every reason to be embarrassed, phone or no phone.

There are too many things I let myself "get away with" in the course of some days simply because no one is there to hear or see my actions - or read my thoughts!   But reading the bible helps to keep me honest, because I come across verses like Ephesians 4:29. And more often than I'd expect, a recently read verse will even help to pre-empt a traffic light moment (just not this time...).

"Whoever loves a pure heart and gracious speech will have the king as a friend." Proverbs 22:11

I believe I can do better. And I like having as a friend, the King of Kings.

What do you believe?

No comments: