Saturday, October 26, 2013

Seeing in the Dark

I woke up the other morning just as my wife was leaving for work.

She left the lights off so as not to wake me, and was finding her way from the master bath to our door.

Since I'd woken in the dark, my eyes were already adjusted and I could survey the scene.
She had one hand extended out in front of her, moving slowly left to right. And her feet were carefully shuffling one step at a time.
To her, stepping out of the lighted master bath, all was darkness in the room.  Her hand was out in front to protect her from hitting the doorway. Her feet were shuffling so as not to trip or stub a toe.

To me, I saw someone cautiously trying to find their way through what I could see clearly. What she could not see, I could see.

Light and darkness.

The first chapter of John's Gospel says a lot about Jesus being the Light of this world.

"In him was life, and that life was the light of mankind. the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:4-5

and of Jesus' birth, John said,
"The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him."  John 1:9-10

Knowing Jesus is like flipping on life's light switch.
You worry less about holding your hands out in front of you, worried about what you may encounter. You plant your feet more confidently, less concerned about stubbing your toe.
There is great joy and confidence walking in the Light of Jesus.

There is also great joy when you can see someone who used to walk in the dark, now walking in the light. Especially when it is someone you care about, someone you love.

Is there anyone you love enough to empower with the Light of Jesus?  Or, will you let them walk in the dark, hoping they "find their own way?"

"For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God in the light of life."  Psalm 56:13

"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord." Psalm 89:15

"Let the one who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on their God."  Isaiah 50:10

What do you believe?




No comments: