Saturday, April 26, 2014

Kindest, Most Gentle Soul I've Ever Known

I met up with an old college friend recently.
We traded news and updates of our families.
He asked me how my wife was. I gave him the quick summary of her work and hobbies and time spent with our kids.
Then he asked me a question that doesn't usually come up with casual acquaintances. It's more a question for  good friends, people that have no boundaries in what they know about you, perfect and imperfect.
"How are you two doing together after all these years?"
It's a question I would have summarized in the past with a simple, "we're doing fine as usual."
But that wasn't what he meant.
College is a long way behind us now. We've all been through the blurred years of raising our kids.
Now we've had parents and loved ones pass away. Weddings. Job changes.  A changed world around us.
"How are you two doing after all these years?"
Being married to my best friend means immeasurably more to me now than when my friends used to ponder such things at the student union.
I understand in my core being that she loves me more than anybody else ever has, or could. And that is how I love her. We've been through a lot - as most people - but its now that I see how the steadfastness and commitment to always go forward another day has galvanized us with unshakable trust. And affection. And a singular, deep rooted gladness that I really can't put into words - although I know she understands it too.
Time to me now is measured in portions I am able to spend with her, near her, or while doing other things until we are back together again.

Inscribed in our wedding rings are the words, "We are One."
At the time, we meant it to signify the joining of our individual lives, together with God.
Then it was aspirational. Now it is true.

I said to my friend,
"She is the kindest, most gentle soul I have ever known."

And we are one.


No comments: