Thursday, August 17, 2017

Take the direct route - interstate, due west

From where I live, the city of Madison is about 60 miles due west as the crow flies.
If someone were to ask me how to get there, I'd say, "Hop on the interstate, follow the signs to Madison, you'll be there in less than an hour."

It is a virtually straight path east-to-west, it is well known and it works.  Simple.

Someone might ask for other options.
"What if I decide to take a scenic route and use one of these other roads?"
Well, its still due west, and if you pay attention, you should still get there, although it will take longer.

"What if I decide to come from a different direction...from another state?"
Madison doesn't move, you can still get there, but I don't know every route.

I do know ways that you will not get to Madison. If you hop on the interstate and head in the opposite direction, due east, you will not arrive in Madison. In fact, you will drive into Lake Michigan!
The same will happen if you head off in many other compass directions.
However, you could stop at any time, reverse your course, head to Madison and you will get there.
Madison doesn't move.

Jesus doesn't move. You can reach him.
He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Hebrews 13:8
There is a simple direct way to Jesus - as easy as jumping on the interstate to Madison.
Tell him you're sorry for your sins, that you believe on Him as the Son of God who died on the cross for your forgiveness and that you plan to follow his ways.   You will be with Jesus.

Lots of people say - I prefer the scenic route. Can they still find Jesus? Of course. It might just take longer.
Others say, if Jesus is west, then I'm heading east.  Of those, some will decide to turn back and make their way to Jesus after all.  That is repentance - to turn away from sin and towards the Savior.

And then there is, "Look, I'm going to travel to God, or travel to heaven, but I don't need Jesus for that."

Our family used to smile when we took "scenic" road trips down south, we'd sometimes lose our way and stop to ask directions - some of the locals would stop, think a bit, and then say kindly, "I'm not sure you can get there from here." So, we'd reverse course and rethink our approach.

When people ask me about finding the way to God and eternal life - scenic or otherwise - without acknowledging Jesus, I've given it a lot of thought and prayer.
I'm not sure you can get there from here.

What do you believe?




No comments: