Saturday, May 26, 2018

Artificial Intelligence and Jesus

"10 minutes to your destination...."

My bride of 36 years turned to me in our car and mused, "It usually says, '20 minutes' when I'm driving to work."   She picked up her phone and looked at the screen. The destination address was that of our church.
"How does it know where we're going!?"

Answer, its Sunday.  And on most Sunday's when we get in the car, our destination is the church where we've worshiped for 15 years.
It's a simple artificial intelligence algorithm. The phone has paid attention with location tracking and time. It gets 'smarter' as it learns a repeated pattern, like going to church on Sunday and work on Monday.

I gave this some thought as we waited for the service to begin.
Our phones and tablets and laptops are all paying attention to patterns of behavior.
We all know that amazon.com will suggest purchase ideas related to this new item or our past purchases.
I get a lot of CD reminders for 60's and 70's music, boating equipment and kindle books.
Amazon video and Netflix both provide a "just for you" list of topics (action and mystery/thriller).

Those are simple. But think bigger. God not only sees our behavior in real time, he knows our thoughts and our hearts. He is before us and after us with no boundary of time. Wouldn't his "Siri" or "Alexa" comments be interesting to hear on your smart phone?

"You have 1 hour available with nothing else scheduled, during which you could pray or read your bible, or check on a loved one, but you will instead flip through sports scores and news while wishing you had more time to relax."

Ouch.  Or,

"You have just received a bonus check, you will struggle with your decision to tithe 10% off the gross or after-tax amount."

Hey!  How did he know that?!

I smiled and thought of other combinations God could share which I most certainly would not want blurted out over a phone. And I realized, as we all do, that God doesn't need a phone app to pull the "drive time to church" magic trick.  We have something with much greater nuance, subtlety, depth and breadth.
You're probably way ahead of me on this one, it's...your conscience.

God knows right and wrong and so do we. We are made in his image.

Romans 2:15
"They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them."

What does your Siri say?


3 comments:

Randy said...

It's good to continue to train your Siri. Hebrews 5:14 "because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil".

Dad Z said...

Strange...because I pay my St. Peter's pledge quarterly I sometimes forget to mail in my check. You remind me I am over-do! (;-( That ap's NOT working well for your old man. (;-) Dad


Dad Zjerdadzim@cs.com said...

After reading this latest blog, I took time to read back blogs and was disappointed that your readers do not take a moment to leave a comment to your well thought words. Maybe it s because it is not a quick or simple procedure...????