Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Wrong Rental Car

Not long ago,  I had a business meeting in Minneapolis, which is about a 6 hour, very picturesque drive from our town. Airfare was more expensive and it would have taken 5 - 6 hours of my time to get to the airport, park, go through airport security, fly and then arrange transport to the meeting location once I landed in Minneapolis. So instead, I rented a car.

The rental car agency has a remote office at a local hotel, not far from where I live. I called ahead and the agency let me know I could pick up the keys in their office at the hotel. My wife dropped me off at the entrance and I rolled my small suitcase along two carpeted corridors before finding the tiny rental office. The cheerful agent handed me an envelope with the keys and said, "It's the blue mid-size in our parking lot right outside, you can't miss it," and she jerked the thumb of her hand in a left-ish pointing motion.

Less than a minute later I shouldered my way out the side door and onto the sidewalk facing the parking lot.  Spotting the blue mid-size just a few feet away, I eased my suitcase into the back seat. Slide my backpack over to the front passenger side and set my phone in the cup holder in one fluid motion. Seasoned traveler, ready to roll!  I put one foot on the brake pedal and pressed the car's "start" button. Nothing.

Try again?  Nothing.
Car is in park? Check.  Gas tank full, check. What's the problem?

That's when I looked out the front window at the other blue mid-size car just across the lot. Any chance that....yup. The license plate on that car matched the license number written on my key. I'm in the wrong car!

Not only the wrong car, but this wasn't even a rental car! I was sitting in somebody's personal ride. Very embarrassed, I yanked my backpack and suitcase and strode over to the "correct" sedan, repeated the process and drove off. Smiling once again as I sped toward the freeway on ramp, I decided to call my wife and tell her my story, except...no phone. It was still in the cup holder of the other car!  Fortunately, it was still there a few tense minutes later as I hoped against hope the owner would not come out and accuse me of stealing something!

So many lessons learned and so many life applications came to mind as I drove away. Again.

  1. Make sure you match the key to the license plate and don't just slide into a similar looking sedan.   Our culture is offering up a lot of alternate forms of spirituality and worship these days.  They may "look" the same and seem ready to drive - but the spiritual "engine" is a non-starter.  Check for Biblical truth, core belief in Jesus as Savior, Son of God and Him crucified. The one name under heaven by which we can be saved, Acts 4:12.  To whom every knee will bend and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord, Philippians 2:9-11
  2. You may just have to get out of the wrong car, pick up your stuff (your family, your friendships) and walk across the parking lot - in full view of everyone - acknowledging your mistake. It's ok. I've done the same thing!   
  3. You could reach out and help someone else who might be confused - call back the people who sent you out with weak instructions in the first place. Help them to see that there are other cars out there - maybe counsel them to tell others..."be sure you match the keys to the license plate!"  Doesn't everybody?  No, they don't, and we're partly to blame for not making it clear - with love, patience and respect, who Jesus is, and who He is not.  Don't jump into the first blue sedan you see!   Believe me, I've learned my lesson!
What do you believe?

No comments: