Sunday, May 01, 2022

It's not fair - I paid my college debt, why not you?


 
This isn't really about college loans, but...as I write this, there are suddenly thousands of people from most political and religious persuasions who seemingly agree on a single, controversial topic.  

Topic for debate: People should remain responsible for repayment of their personal college loans.

The current government administration has signaled their intent to "forgive" the repayment of existing student loans. Financially, it's a staggering number. The public response has been swift and visceral. The basic gist of it, without taking a side:
  1. Great! I'm happy to have my loan burden eliminated. I accept.
  2. Not fair! I carefully budgeted, lived within my means and repaid my school loans in full. Why should anyone else do less?
  3. Not fair! I actually "downsized" my own choice of schools to match what I could afford - I would have gladly attended a more expensive school knowing you'd cancel the debt!
  4. Not fair!  I never attended college, never accrued any debt and now that "cancelled" debt will actually be "paid" by all taxpayers - including me. Maybe I would have attended college, maybe not, but I never had the luxury to consider "no-pay" loans.
  5. Not fair!  There's plenty of debt besides college loans. What about mortgages and small business loans...can we "forgive' those and have taxpayers pay off my debt as well.               

Enough about that, I promised. 


Isn't it interesting though, how these "not fair" phrases and examples have suddenly come to life?   

A related term, "personal accountability" had fallen from grace in recent years. Many cultural debates berated "personal accountability" use as lacking situational empathy. Judgmental. Insensitive. Tone-deaf. 

But in truth, most people who find unilateral college loan forgiveness to be unfair, also believe the accountable parties - those persons with the loans - should pay. Persons and accountability

Personal accountability.
It's back, for now. At least for one subject, one news cycle.

"Personal accountability" has also been at odds with Christianity. 

Christians believe there is supernatural peace, joy, hope and love through faith in Jesus Christ. Even eternal life. But why Jesus, what was his purpose? He came with mercy, for the forgiveness of our sins - for all of us, all of our sins.  He asked one thing, that we acknowledge our sinful ways - turn from them - and then follow Him. "Repent and believe," Jesus said.  Mark 1:15

I can hear it now, though...Hold on there, tiger! That sounds a whole lot like "personal accountability." In order for me to acknowledge sin in my life, you have to presuppose that there is a definable "right and wrong." And maybe I believe "my truth" might be independent of some of what you call, "sin." So, what I intend to do is 'follow' Jesus for some of the wonderful philosophy he imparted and 'work around' the parts that would disrupt my day-to-day lifestyle. I can't be measured against things I don't believe.

But...that's not fair. 

Colossians 3:25 "For the one who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality.
 
What do you believe?

2 comments:

Randy said...

I always love reading when criminals get their just deserts, almost as much as I hate seeing criminals walk away scot-free. It makes me wonder, however, how I feel when sinners are forgiven. The big difference is the confession and repentance. I'm sure God knows the difference between the truly repentant and the ones who just want to get away with murder.

By the way, do you think God is fair?

Anonymous said...

God is impartial. 1Peter1:17 and fair snd righteous Isaiah 11:4