Friday, April 14, 2006

Holy Week on DVD ?

My favorite religious movie of all time is Zeffirelli's "Jesus of Nazareth."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_of_Nazareth_(film)
You can still find it on amazon.com and at Barnes and Nobles.
I watch it every Lent/Easter season and every Christmas.
Whenever I read the gospel accounts, many of the images come alive as depictions from the film. It's well worth the $25 DVD version, or a library checkout.

I've also begun watching Mel Gibson's Passion as part of my Holy Week reminder that Jesus died a horribly brutal death in my place.
Our forgiveness was purchased at a high price and the reminders of Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter are great opportunities to meditate on that in prayer and great thanksgiving -- it is the Good News!

By the way...I always thought that Jesus was crucified from noon to 3 pm -- "from the 6th to the 9th hour.." However, check out Mark 15:25.
Jesus was actually crucified at the 3rd hour, about 9 am - but darkness overcame the land from the 6th to the 9th hour. Check out the accounts in Matthew, Mark and Luke to see.

I'm grateful for what Jesus did to reconcile me to a full relationship with God.
What do you believe?

No comments: