Sunday, October 26, 2008

Alpha and Omega - Jesus, or God ?

Jesus allowed people to identify him as God.
His disciple Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God !" John 20:28
And Jesus himself said, "I and the Father are one."  John 10:30
 Sometimes people are tempted to explain this away and suggest that Christianity is a belief of multiple gods, or that Jesus was a 'lesser' god.
But here are two verses that cut right to the heart of the matter.
In the old testament, the prophet Isaiah is instructed by God to explain:
"This is what the Lord says, Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty:
   I am the first and the last; apart from me there is no God."  Isaiah 44:6
That's God with a big "G" and it clearly teaches 1 God.
Then in the final book of the Bible, Jesus says,
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the end."  Revelation 21:5
Jesus uses the very words of the old testament prophecy to explain who he is.
The Believers of the Bible are monotheistic - that is, belief in one God.
 So, Jesus claimed to be as One with God the Father Almighty - and allowed his followers to say so.
We can too.

What do you believe?

No comments: