Monday, December 29, 2008

My Unopened Gift !

My wife promised not to buy any other Christmas gifts for me. We try, like most families, not to go overboard with gift-giving, and stay grounded in the Reason for the Season (the coming of Jesus). I'd pointed out a reasonably priced dress watch (sale price well under $99 for curious shoppers), and looked forward to wearing it after Christmas.
Then we invariably buy each other a few other items - which we claim don't count as 'big' gifts; a music CD and some dark chocolate this year.
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day came and went.
We had wonderful family fellowship for Christmas Eve at our home. My wife and daughter, parents, sisters' families, niece and nephews...a relaxing, laughter-filled evening despite lingering health concerns for several among us.
Christmas Day at our church service we played worship music and soaked in the gorgeous sunlight coming through stained glass to spill over the beautifully decorated altar and creche. A truly appropriate celebration of Christ's coming to earth. Then after a late brunch at home we finally opened gifts amongst our small family (including daughter's boyfriend...please don't get me started). 
By day's end we were pleasantly worn out from all the preparation and activity and my girls had to get some sleep in order to face work the following day. That's the morning I remembered it. My new dress watch. I had reached into a drawer to pull out my old one - and laughed out loud.
A fully lived and loved Christmas with an unwrapped - and forgotten - gift still sitting on a shelf in our house somewhere.
I'm wearing it now - and I really like it. But it was a new twist on the 'Christmas is more than giving/getting gifts' theme.  This is a gift that I forgot was there. Purchased, ready and waiting on the shelf. I only had to ask my lovely bride and she gladly gave me the gift. I received it just as gladly. 
Jesus is there - a gift of eternal life and love - unopened by millions of people.  Christmas comes and goes with great joy and fellowship; is there anyone you know who still has an unopened gift of redemption waiting for them?  Why not offer to help them find it? Maybe they know it's there, but are unsure of how to ask. It could be their best Christmas ever.

What do you believe?





No comments: