Saturday, April 03, 2010

Customer Service Discipleship

I'm an Apple computer fan. Ipod(s), Mac-mini, Itunes, iPhoto...they're all part of my Apple digital lifestyle.
I've been especially complimentary of Apple service. Tech's I've spoken to on the phone have been pleasantly helpful. Even the local Apple store - though impossibly crowded - has provided reasonably trouble-free experience...until last week.
Walking past tables full of i-ware and i-shoppers, I headed straight for a blue shirted salesperson. He greeted me and I explained my need for a document scanner.
"We don't sell them here," he advised quickly.
Ok, I said, I had wanted to make sure I purchased something that was Apple compatible.
"You might want to look at Best Buy or Office Max, something like that," he offered indifferently.
Any Apple software revisions coming soon that might affect scanner features?
"None that I know of."
Within 2 minutes I was off Apple's shiny hardwood floors and back in the mall. I felt worse off than when I had walked in. At least on the way in I had hope. Here was a place built on solutions and collaboration. But somehow I had asked a question not solved with the use of Apple i-anything. I had wondered into an i-nostic zone of sorts and been summarily redirected back to the world "out there" in the i-less mall.
In fairness to Apple, I've had similar experiences with Google staffers on work projects. Instead of calling back to return phone messages, they send an email telling me where to click on the Google site for further information. But, that's why I called a human being...
Uh-oh.
Are we doing the same thing to people who have Spiritual questions?
What if people walking into our churches aren't exactly "ready to buy?" (ready to decide) Maybe they just have questions and want to talk something through. Sure, you can sign up for a 1:1 session with the Apple Store's "Expert Bar." It's free.
But maybe I'm too shy to sign up for that bible class. Or maybe I've mustered all my courage just to walk onto the churches hardwood floors, filled with hope - because this is the place that has answers to my non-digital lifestyle (I can visit Apple for the digital part).
But then the church service representative (usher, greeter, musician, pastor?) that I encounter can't think of a single outreach group or audio tape to address my paricular need -- will I find myself back out in the parking lot faster than an Apple sales person can deflect a scanner question?
Each one of us (I'm the musician) has to be ready to meet, welcome and help the person walking into the door of our church, or bible study, or neighborhood.
They're not always going to ask for the plan of Salvation. It might start with a question about software compatibility and support services...

What do you believe?


No comments: