Friday, April 02, 2010

Servants, Guitars, Church Parking Lots

I've been playing church music since I was in the 6th grade.
Back then we had to haul a bass violin from the school and back again. What a workout!
Fortunately for me, electric guitars came into favor and I only had to carry the slim silver case and a small Fender amplifier.
Over the years, it became two acoustic guitars (Martin 6 string and 12 string), a keyboard (so my daughter could play) and an ever changing assortment of microphones, cables, speakers and mixers. Oh, and the music. Those binders are heavy!
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love making music for the Lord. It's a privilege. A gift. I've known more sublime moments of Spiritual connection to God in the midst of fellow musicians than on my knees in the pew.
Four decades of this now and the weekly load in and load out just goes with the territory. And our current church music department is the best ever. I have only to carry the two acoustic guitars and my music bag. Everything else is in the church. (Thank you Jesus!)
That's why I was a little surprised on Palm Sunday last week.
I was standing beside my car, slipping one guitar case onto my back (its a soft-pack case) and preparing to pick up the other case and the music bag.
I had to stop and juggle for a second because I also had my suit coat and tie on a hanger. I don't usually bring that, but we had a family baptism to attend after the service.
Just then I heard a voice ask me, "Could you use some help?"
I was about to say no (hey, I didn't even have an amplifier), but I was running late so why protest? I turned briefly to this older gentleman to gage his carrying capacity. I handed him the 12-string guitar and locked up the car.
It wasn't until we started walking toward the church that I realized this thoughtful person was my Senior Pastor! We had a nice chat and he amiably went the entire way from the lot, through the side lobby, down the hallway and into the music room. What a kindness!
I've been attending this church - my favorite of all time - for seven years now. No one has ever walked up to me before and asked if I needed help. But our newest, 'highest' church official did.
His role model, Jesus of Nazareth, said:
"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant...just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:25-28

What do you believe?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May all of us be open to say 'yes' to Jesus!