Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dad to Daughter - Don't Go Too Far Away

I've written several songs about my darling daughter over the years.
The one I find myself humming late into the evening these days is, "Don't Run Too Far."
Wrote it one lovely day when she was a toddler. We had so much fun at that age, and everything was new.
But even then I knew a time would come when she would move on from our home and our family of three.
She's ready now. A bright, shining light in this world - full of love and joy and kindness - just as capable with an apple pie recipe as she is on the golf course or snorkeling a coral reef, and of course playing the piano with me at church.
The world is better for having her. Her world is better for having found her husband-to-be, the son we never had.
Our world is complete for having them both in our now family of four.

Little girl, remember the unconditional love we've always shared - from here to the stars, no matter what - and I know there is even more to see and do, just,
Not too far away...

Don't Run Too Far (lyrics)

Baby, don’t run too far away
Stay where I can see you, let me watch you play
You can go off some other day
Baby don’t run too far away
Baby don’t run – too far…

Better not go up those steps all alone
Let’s sit down here while I’m talkin on the phone
You’re so small and its such a big old home
You've got to be careful, when you’re on your own
Careful – where you roam…

Let’s get out of the kitchen we might break that jar
Snuggle over here and strum your daddy’s guitar
I’ll change the chords and you can hum a few bars
With those looks and that talent, they’ll want to make you a star!

We can go outside now, but be sure to stay close to me
No need to go in the street – there's not much there to see
Lots to do in our own yard, toss a ball or just run
If you’re laughing that much, I know we must both be having fun...

It’s a sleepy little girl that will let me rock her in my chair
Tug at your ear, hold on tight to your bear
I'll read you a story if you've got some secrets to share
And then those eyes get so heavy, and you're drifting off somewhere...

It’s a feeling I know, deep down inside my heart,
I’m sad and lonely thinking ‘bout a day when we must part
A someday that comes for your own life to start
When you won’t need to hold onto your daddy in the dark…

So,
Baby, don’t run too far away
Stay where I can see you, let me watch you play
You can go off some other day
Baby don’t run too far away
Baby don’t run – too far…

 Copyright 1987

1 comment:

tbendell said...

Hey Tom,
I was on a flight with you from ANC to MSP a number of weeks ago and enjoyed our chat. I finally had some time to check out your blog. It is very good. I appreciate your perspective. It is a joy to look through your thoughtful comments and be encouraged and challenged. Thank you. I would like very much to here the melody of the finished version of the song you wrote for your daughter when she was young if you have a recording of it. I hope all is going well for preparations for Rock the Lakes.
Loaves and fishes,
Tim