Monday, December 27, 2010

Jesus on the Refrigerator

I took my dad out for breakfast the day before Thanksgiving. I told Dad that I had called his old Navy buddy, for whom I am named, to wish him a happy Thanksgiving. Dad's old pal had recently visited our home and I sent our group photo to him afterwards. My namesake let me know that the photo was now taped to the refrigerator door and it made him happy to think about our recent fellowship.

My dad listened to my update on his friend, and thoughtfully said, "It's nice to know you're on somebody's refrigerator."
I was going to let it go at that. Then the words sunk in a little more and I thought about the pictures that we've put up on our refrigerator over the past years. My mom on one of her "good days" during her cancer battle. My daughter and her fiancé during the engagement. Nieces and nephews for graduation or sports.
And honestly, it felt good to know I was "on" the refrigerator door at my namesake's home.

One of the magnets holding up pictures on our refrigerator is a Lamb next to a stained glass cross, representing the "lamb of God." Another depicts a man praying with his young son and the words, "Choose this day whom you will serve."
It's from a bible scipture that says,
"As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord." Joshua 24:15

God doesn't need recognition from us. His universe isn't going to be impacted one way or another by a magnet on a refrigerator.
But in whatever way we remember Him each day, a prayer of thanks or a raised hand of worship, I believe he probably likes being remembered "on the refrigerator" of our hearts.

What do you believe?

No comments: