Monday, December 27, 2010

No Topaz at Cartier

The four of us were window shopping in downtown Chicago and wandered past Cartier's window.
On a lark, I pushed through the door and walked into the brilliantly lit, glittering showroom.
Case after glass case of sparkling gems cascaded across the spacious, high ceilinged room.

"What are you doing?!" my wife whispered hurriedly. "We can't afford anything in here!"
"Relax," I smiled. "You're window shopping in Chicago, it can't hurt to browse the best."

She shrugged reluctantly, and we drifted toward the nearest display case.
Within seconds, an impeccably dressed sales person appeared behind the case and took stock of her prospects.
She couldn't have been too encouraged by our off the rack department store-brand coats, but her smile seemed genuine.

"Welcome to Cartier's, may I help you?" she asked easily.

I was about to murmur, "just browsing," but then a thought occurred to me.
My bride of 25 years had been admiring some simple topaz rings of late. Why not benefit from the knowledge of an expert at Cartier's? We couldn't afford anything they'd have, but that's how you learned.

"We were hoping to see something in a topaz ring," I said cheerfully.

The genuine Cartier smile cracked just a little and the sales person said in a lower voice,
"Cartier's doesn't carry topaz."
Doh! A more worldly person would have known that you don't go to Cartier's for something as common as topaz.
Then, in a more conciliatory tone, she offered, "would you like to look at our blue sapphires instead?"

I was quickly dragged from the store by my mortified wife. She and my daughter and her finance had a good laugh at my expense - and I had a good laugh too. Honestly though, it wasn't the sales lady's fault - and she answered in a very fair, honest manner. Plus, she offered an alternative for me to consider, or not. Overall, no harm done!

Isn't that how some people wander into, and then out of, our churches - or even conversations of spiritual matters like salvation?

"I would like to see something of a god that has no defined moral standards"
"Can you show me something spiritual that will celebrate sin without consequence?"
"I'm looking for a consistent moral philosophy without mention of a higher power.. "

Like the lady at Cartier's, my helpful smile cracks a little when I have to say,
"We don't offer that in Christianity...but would you like see something in redemption and Grace, through Christ?"
It's so much more valuable than what they were looking for - and yet, some will turn away to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, and unfairly, they may even blame Christianity for not advocating what they want to believe.

Cartier's is an imperfect analogy of course. There is nothing exclusive or expensive about Christianity. All are welcome. Poor, rich, sinful, sad.
But we can't place things in the Christian showcase that don't belong there.
It's God who decides what He alone offers. He's catalogued it clearly in the Bible. If you're searching, why not window shop at a few local churches and ask the pastors to explain anything for which you have questions.

I'm still smiling over my encounter at Cartier's, maybe you'll have an even better story to tell.

What do you believe?

No comments: