Sunday, April 16, 2006

Empty Cross

Like some of you, I've attended church at a variety of denominations this past year.
Some have crosses without a figure of Jesus at the front of the sanctuary, some with the crucified figure of Jesus, and some with nothing but multimedia screens or banners.
I've encountered bible study conversations where friends question the need/appropriateness of seeing Jesus on the cross--because it confuses the reality that he defeated death and rose again. (I'm sure there are even deeper theological debates that would go over my head.)
But on Good Friday 2006 I attended a church service with a huge (15 ft?) cross and statue of the crucified Saviour. In that beautifully crafted, larger than life piece of art, there was no mistaking the exquisite price Jesus paid for my sins. An empty cross wouldn't have diluted His gift to me, but the crucified Jesus didn't deny His resurrection either.

What do you believe?

No comments: