Saturday, April 22, 2006

God's Love - Underestimated, underutilized?

The older I get, the less I suffer angst over the specific question..."how can I get out and evangelize today?" I've wrung my hands for many years wondering if "I'm doing enough" to share the Gospel at work and off hours. Am I doing my part to reach people with the saving message of Jesus' redemption? If you keep score by the number of professions of faith, I don't show up on the radar. Even the oft quoted St. Francis of Assisi paraphrase..."Share the Gospel, and use words if necessary" hasn't always soothed my results-oriented persona.
But now, decades into my business career, I better appreciate just how many of the people I've worked with respond powerfully to the very essence of what God has to give--through me (a most assuredly imperfect vessel!).
Namely, they take keen notice of...humility, love, compassion, kindness, forgiveness, mercy--shared in large, consistent doses. For a multitude of reasons we could debate--spiritually adopting God's interpersonal skills notably differentiates us in today's culture.

Just read the instruction manual in Galatians, Chapter 5:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
These features of Christianity don't seem to get much attention in the media today--there's more about our "fundamentalism" and extremism. But Jesus' message was extreme for his time and ours--and it was fundamentally about love, and sharing that love with our neighbor.
It's a good place to start if we want to tell everyone the rest of the Gospel when they're ready.

What do you believe?

No comments: